The Second Chance Ward is one of the integral “Four Legs” of HSSM’s Countdown to Zero initiative to end the euthanasia of healthy and treatable pets in South Mississippi.
Current Fundraising Efforts Benefiting the Second Chance Ward:
- Memorial Bricks– Until HSSM’s Second Chance Ward has been realized, all funds from brick purchases will go towards its construction!
- Host A House Party or Fundraiser – If you are interested in hosting a party for your animal-loving friends or a fundraiser to benefit the Second Chance Ward, please contact Brittany Chowske at 228-822-3802.
More About the Second Chance Ward:
The Second Chance Ward is HSSM’s project to prevent the euthanasia of pets who may come to HSSM healthy but fall ill while they are in our care. The Second Chance Ward will be a separate building, like a hospital ward, on HSSM’s property and will be used solely for the isolation and treatment of highly contagious, but easily treatable illnesses which are common in a shelter environment.
This hospital-style building will ensure that each pet that comes to us does, indeed, get the Second Chance he/she deserves.
- 49% of the dogs and cats HSSM was forced to euthanize last year could have been saved.
- That is a total of 788 dogs and cats who needlessly became victims of pet overpopulation
- Most succumbed to easily treatable illnesses like Upper Respiratory Infection (a cold)
- Lack of adequate isolation space and ability to treat illness in the shelter environment turned the sniffles into a death sentence
- Just 50 additional isolation spaces could save each of these animals who deserve their Second Chance
How Can I Help?
HSSM has undertaken an initiative, entitled “Countdown to Zero“, to eliminate the euthanasia of healthy, adoptable pets in our community. This initiative relies on HSSM’s ability to isolate and treat highly contagious, yet easily treatable diseases like Upper Respiratory Infection, which will only be possible with a fully operational Second Chance Ward. We have estimated the building will cost about $625,000.
HSSM would be honored to have your assistance in this endeavor. Contact Brittany Chowske, HSSM Donor Relations Manager at 228-863-3354 ext.102 to find out how you or your company can make this dream a reality for South Mississippi’s homeless pets.