Are you considering giving up your pet? You are not alone. Half of the pets that come to HSSM each year are given up by their owners. The decision to give up your pet can be a difficult one but HSSM is here to help.
HSSM may be able to offer you alternatives to giving up your pet. If the reason you are thinking of surrendering your pet is behavioral, financial, or because you are moving, we may be able to help. Please talk over your decision to surrender with an Animal Care Associate by calling our Surrender department at 228-863-3354 ext. 124 or 125.
Even if you do decide to give up your pet, take a peek at HSSM’s information and tips on Re-Homing a Pet so that HSSM can be your very last resort!
If you have exhausted all options and you decide to surrender your pet to HSSM, please follow the steps below.
Pet Surrender Process
- Please call the Surrender Department at 228-863-3354 ext. 124 or 125 to set up an intake appointment.
- Please bring any and all registration papers, Veterinarian records, medications, etc. for each pet.
- Please bring your pet on a leash or in a carrier to HSSM’s Lost & Found/Surrender Entrance. If you need assistance getting your pet(s) out of your car, please come in and speak to an Animal Care Associate.
- When you arrive, you will be asked to fill out paperwork relinquishing ownership of your pet(s) and transferring said ownership to HSSM.
- You will also be asked to fill out an Owner Information Sheet about each pet. This information is very important as it helps us know more about your animal and assists in getting him/her adopted into a fitting home. You can download and fill out these sheets ahead of time to expedite your process!
- Each pet HSSM takes in is given a set of vaccinations that cost approximately $15. To help offset these costs, HSSM asks for a nominal Animal Care Fee when you are surrendering your pet(s). These fees are as follows:HSSM staff will remind you that as an open-admission shelter, pets left at HSSM are at risk of euthanasia. While we strive to save each and every healthy and treatable pet that enters our doors, this is currently not the case and your pet could become at risk for euthanasia. Click here for a sample euthanasia statement of understanding.
- 1 animal from Harrison County $15.00
- 1 animal from outside of Harrison County $30.00
- 2 or more animals from Harrison County $30.00
- 2 or more animals from outside of Harrison County $60.00
- HSSM staff will remind you that as an open-admission shelter, pets left at HSSM are at risk of euthanasia. While we strive to save each and every healthy and treatable pet that enters our doors, this is currently not the case and your pet could become at risk for euthanasia.